1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
1/2 pound beef
1/2 pound pork
1 garlic clove, grated
1 onion, grated
2 tbsp cream
8 bocconcini (small mozzarella balls)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
3 tbsp butter
Red Tomato Sauce
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
5 cloves garlic, skins on
2 pints cherry tomatoes
salt and pepper
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 Vegetable bouillon cube
1. In a small bowl, mix salt, pepper, bread crumbs, and crushed pepper.
2. Combine bread-crumb mixture with the ground meats, garlic, onion, egg, and cream in a large mixing bowl. Mix to incorporate, and let rest in the fridge.
3. Divide the mixture into 8 portions. Create an indention in each, placing a mozzarella ball and a sprinkle of Parmesan in the center of each meatball and rolling to enclose the cheese.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat two tbsp of butter in a pan over high heat. Add meatballs and brown on all sides. (Save the drippings!)
5. Place meatballs and remaining butter in a oven proof dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
Now on to making the Tomato Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add the onion, garlic, and cherry tomatoes to a sheet pan. Toss with 3 tbsp of olive oil. Roast the tomatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the garlic is soft. Shake the pan every few minutes to keep tomatoes from sticking. Discard garlic skin.
2. Over medium heat add two tbsp olive oil to the drippings in the pan used to brown the meatballs. Add the roasted vegetables, sugar, tomato sauce, bouillon cube, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes while stirring.
3. Pour sauce over meatballs. Serve Hot!